AFC/M23 releases 230 FARDC soldiers during Visit of EU commissioner to Goma

Feb 21, 2026 - 10:19
 0
AFC/M23 releases 230 FARDC soldiers during Visit of EU commissioner to Goma

The armed group AFC/M23 has announced the release of 230 soldiers from the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo (FARDC) who had been held in its custody, stating that the move was intended to facilitate their return to their families.

The handover took place on Friday, January 30, during the visit of European Commissioner for Preparedness, Crisis Management and Equality, Hadja Lahbib, to the eastern city of Goma. Lahbib arrived in Goma after a prior stop in Kigali.

While in Goma, Lahbib held talks with AFC/M23 coordinator Corneille Nangaa Yerubo. Discussions focused primarily on the humanitarian situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), particularly in its conflict-affected eastern region.

In a statement issued Friday, AFC/M23 said Lahbib underscored the importance of strengthening cooperation between the group and humanitarian actors to better address the needs of Congolese civilians who have endured years of armed conflict.

According to the statement, the EU Commissioner also emphasized the need to reopen humanitarian corridors, establish a joint technical committee, and expressed interest in reopening Goma International Airport to facilitate aid delivery.

Nangaa, for his part, pledged cooperation between AFC/M23 and humanitarian organizations operating in areas under the group’s control. He stated that measures have already been implemented to ease civilian movement.

The group claimed that since establishing administrative structures in territories it controls a year ago, tangible changes have been observed. These include what it described as improved security, the dismantling of displacement camps, the removal of barriers previously imposed by pro-government militias known as Wazalendo, FARDC forces, and the FDLR rebel group, as well as the return of approximately 1.2 million displaced residents to their homes around Goma.

AFC/M23 further asserted that these developments have led to a significant increase in local agricultural production.

In addition to the 230 FARDC soldiers, the group announced the release of 40 minors and around 100 women who it claimed had been recruited into the Congolese army and later fell into its custody. It said they would be reunited with their families.

The statement added that the 230 FARDC soldiers handed over to the EU Commissioner had been wounded in combat and received medical treatment at the Katindo military hospital, which AFC/M23 says it administers.

AFC/M23 concluded by expressing readiness to pursue further technical discussions with the European Union to strengthen coordination with humanitarian actors operating in areas under its control.